We’re talking with the Chirp team in six cities about what they think makes their city such a special place to live and work. Next stop… Memphis, Tennessee!
- BBQ. Barbecue aficionados know that Central BBQ has the best meat in town. While Central is famed for its ribs, the bestselling item is the BBQ Nachos, which it also sells at local festivals and events from its tie-dyed food truck. All barbecue’d out? Check out Gus’ for their fried chicken with a side of mac and cheese.
“I usually order pulled pork, pulled chicken, wings, or ribs. I never ate ribs until I moved here and they’re SO good.”– Alyssa, Quantitative Analyst
2. Shelby Farms. At 4,500 acres, Shelby Farms Park is five times the size of Central Park in NY and one of the largest urban parks in the country. This beautiful nature reserve has over 40 miles of trails for walking, biking, running, and hiking. Try horseback riding or laser tag, watch buffalo roam the reserve, or come in the fall for the pumpkin patch and corn maze.
“I love bringing my dog here on weekends – their super friendly dog park can’t be beat.”
3. Drive-ability. While not the most walkable city, from Bluff City you can drive to Houston, NOLA, Atlanta, or St. Louis in just a few hours! Getting to the airport is a 10-minute affair and Memphis has direct flights to lots of far-flung destinations like LA, Las Vegas, and Chicago.
“I love how central Memphis is. It’s super convenient when I need to travel to any other major city for work – the drive or flight is never more than a few hours, so travel doesn’t take up my entire day.”
4. Graceland. A visit to Memphis just isn’t complete without a bucket-list trip to the home of Elvis Presley. Graceland isn’t just a home, it’s a time capsule and homage to the king of rock-and-roll. Even if you’re not a fan, his collection of vintage cars, iconic costumes, and over-the-top, rags-to-riches aesthetic will leave you charmed and saying…thank you, thank you very much.
“I personally loved the jungle room. It was so fascinating to see all of the old 1950’s styles – and 1970’s renovations!”
5. Fed-Ex. Given its central location and low cost of living, it’s no surprise why Fed Ex chose to set their headquarters in Memphis. Memphians are spoiled by how fast their packages arrive! Lots of big companies like AutoZone, TruGreen, and Terminix are also headquartered in Memphis.
Between the food, the weather, the location and the countless artistic and cultural treasures to explore, we love to count Memphis among our Chirp nests!